There is no mistaking that there is something very special about Front Steps resident Gracie.
Her energy is extremely contagious and she has one of the friendliest smiles that have ever walked these halls. While Gracie feels secure at Front Steps and is finally able to be herself; this was not always the case. Gracie fell upon hard times, like many individuals, when the economy suffered. At the time, Gracie was running her own cleaning service, but when her customers had to cut back, Gracie lost many of her loyal customers.
Gracie was also struggling with a domestic violence situation, as well as her mental health. When she no longer had much of an income and nowhere else to turn, she went to the Norma Herr Women's Shelter. While Gracie was thankful for a place to stay, she knew she couldn't stay at the shelter for long.
Gracie came to Front Steps in August of 2014 and hasn't looked back. Her new home has helped her to heal, gain confidence and to become herself again. Now that she has a safe place to call home, she can concentrate on gaining the experience and skills she needs to once again become self-sufficient. Gracie is active with case management and is enrolled in many of the programs offered at Front Steps including Morning Reflection, Health and Wellness, Art Therapy, Relationship Building and Workforce Readiness Workshop. Gracie hopes to obtain her GED while at Front Steps and wants to give back by finding employment that helps homeless individuals.
Gracie is a true inspiration for all those who are lucky enough to meet her. Her positive attitude and warm demeanor has affected many at Front Steps, including residents and staff.
- Favorite color: Purple and Red
- Favorite movie: Wizard of Oz
- Favorite book: Enjoy anything written by Maya Angelou
- Favorite TV Show: Anything that makes me laugh - The Ellen Show, I Love Lucy
- Favorite food: Mexican
- Favorite activity: Hanging out with my family, especially my two daughters
- Favorite Cleveland landmark: Anywhere downtown
- Favorite thing about Front Steps: Morning Reflection program, which gets me in the right mindset for the day
- Favorite memory at Front Steps: When I first got my keys and knew I had a room to myself